Sunday 26 June 2016

Australia & New Zealand - Day 30 - 25th June

Day 30


Today I had planned on going with Alfie to the Allianz Stadium to watch the third and final test between Australia and England, but as it was not due to KO until 08.00pm local time I decided to spend a few hours in Dee Why.

Previously I had only passed through here on the Manley bus but it always appealed to me so I thought I'd spend a few hours here before heading back to get ready to go out this evening.  Alfie dropped me off at the sea front and I arranged to see him later.

It was a beautiful morning with very little cloud in the sky if a little chilly but there were scores of people out enjoying the day.

I started to take photographs but realised that I had forgotten to put a charged battery in the camera, so all the photographs following were taken on my iPhone.





















I started to walk around towards the swimming pool where there was a delightful cafe where I bought a water and a sandwich to take wth me on my travels. Just out at sea beyond the swimming pools, thee were surfers riding some decent sized waves and the water was very volatile at times.

























After a while spent here I decided to go along the cliff top walk towards Curl Curl. I took more photographs along this route.


























Unfortunately, after I had gone about 1.5km I had an accident.  The path was narrow along the top of the cliff and when a couple approached from the opposite direction, I stepped aside to let them through and my right foot went straight down a hole. Struggling to keep my balance I jarred my left knee, not a lot but enough to cause pain at the top and sides of the knee.

I decided that it would be better to go back, not knowing how far there was to go if I went ahead.  It took a while and I was in a fair bit of discomfort and I eventually go back to the front and saw a restaurant, The On shorethat had room outside so I headed for it and sat at a table outside.  I thought to give my knee a rest so I decided to have some lunch here and ordered some food and drink.




















Sitting there talking to the waiter, who was from Reading, it appeared that the pain had subsided so I asked for my bill.  When it arrived I settled it and stood up to leave and suddenly there was excruciating pain down either side of the back of my left knee and I could not move my leg forward or back. I was riveted to the spot. Feeling rather silly I sat back down and waited a while to have another go.

This time I got some forward movement but my leg was straight as a rod and I moved off with slow and shuffling movements.  I wanted to get to a spot that Alfie would know when I would ring him and was helped across a zebra crossing, presumably because I was too slow and I rang Alfie, told him the story and waited at the place he had dropped me off at.

Back at home we rang for an out of hours doctor and after paying $200 dollars (which I can claim back against my insurance) I was told to take Nurofen, and keep the leg raised and on an ice pack. If the pain persists tomorrow I am to see about arranging an MRI scan as the doctor believes I have torn the tendons. 

Obviously, I did not make the match.  I'll see what it's like tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Oh poor you!! Fingers crossed you don't need the MRI... Photos look amazing though! xx

    ReplyDelete