Thursday 23 June 2016

Australia & New Zealand - Day 27 - 22nd June

Day 27


Gorgeous  day today, sun out and blue skies everywhere.  Decided not to go to Maroubra but instead I decided to go to Double Bay and walk to Rose Bay.  So I had breakfast at home and then went into the city and took a ferry from Circular Quay to Double Bay.

At the Quay

A harbour ferry


































Unfamiliar with Double Bay I paid attention to a guide book and set out for Rose Bay.




Double Bay Yacht Cub

The beach at Double Bay


































Along the route I came across the Council chamber for Woollahra Council, a fine sandstone building called Redleaf.

Woollahra Council Chambers 



















I walked around the building and over the lawn and came across steps down to a netted semicircular pool area of the bay, surrounded by a jetty and fronted by a beach. There was a delightful cafe restaurant above the pool which made it an ideal place for a day at the beach.

Redleaf pool , also known as Murray Rose Pool 

The beach through the trees



































Moving on from here I eventually ended up at Rose bay.  This is where the sea boat trips leave and return to.  Between the wars it was a very busy 'airport' for the seaplane services between Australia and Great Britain.

Seaplane 

Coming in to land 











































Walking along the beach I saw a young boy catch a sting ray on his line then run off frightened calling for his mum.  It was only a small one though, and they did put it back in the sea. 




the beach at Rose bay


The mini Sting Ray




















Alfie said I should eat lunch at the Rose Bay yacht club and I thought I could see it the other side of the bay.

The yacht club in the distance, or so I thought


















When I got around there, the restaurant was not the yacht club, but one called Catalinas.  I walked in with my rucksack on my back and was asked if I had a reservation.  I said that I did not but they still found me a table.

At first I did feel a little underdressed when I looked round at the other diners but they were very friendly and I ordered my meal: -

6 Oyster with flying fish roe, chilli flakes and lime, followed by crispy skin Baramundi with white crab ravioli.  Accompanied by lemon and garlic mash and a rocket and Parmesan salad. It was washed down with a half bottle of Hunter Valley Semillon.

The bill was a bit of a shock, but I should have known and the meal was something special.  Without a doubt, the oysters were the best I've ever had.

When I got back and mentioned it to Alfie he said 'that's not the yacht club! It's only one of the top ten restaurants in Sydney.

That's the kind of mistake I don't mind making.

Inside Catalina restaurant 




The bayside terrace







































No comments:

Post a Comment