Saturday 18 June 2016

Australia & New Zealand - Day 22 - 17th June

Day 22

After a pleasant breakfast chatting to the Kiwi neighbours out on the balcony I thought how I would miss mornings like this with the sun coming up over the sea while I was enjoying my first cup of green tea.

Last view from my balcony

And along it


































I checked out and set off on what would prove to be an arduous journey to Wellington.  Having to take it easy because of having 4 hours sleep the previous night due to the England/Wales match, I decided not to go on the highway initially, but to have a drive through the vineyards south of Napier & Hastings.

Napier vineyards in the morning haze 















As I drove on the misty haze lifted and the sky became a pure blue one. I then saw a sign for petrol and took a left to fill up before carrying on.  Am I glad I did, I came across a little town/village called Onga Onga.  It was a town with one street, a couple of shops/businesses and a few houses.

The village store, filling station and tea rooms in Onga Onga

The store next door is up for sale if anybody's interested

This is Lesley who filled my car up with petrol then made me a
 toastie and a cup of coffee but turned down my proposal.




















































I then drove on through the most picturesque landscapes until I had to rejoin Highway 2 for the final leg of my journey to Wellington.




















I eventually arrived in Wellington as it was getting dark, found my hotel, the Copthorn and settled in.

Publicity shot of the Hotel

My room
































After a rest and a shower I went for a stroll around the harbour and had dinner in the Wellington Yacht Club.  Another place on my recommended list.  A good selection of beers and ciders and the food was exceptional, especially the lamb.

Happy staff at the yacht club 























I then had a last quiet drink in the Hotel before the coaches with the Weslsh supporters arrived.  Then the fun started, after all that's why we were here and the match is tomorrow

Quiet bar in the Copthorne.  For the moment.


















No comments:

Post a Comment