Monday 13 June 2016

Australia & New Zealand - Day 18 - 13th June

Day 18


Checked out of the apartment after breakfast and set out for a place recommended by Andrew Clemmet, Hot Water Beach, on the Pacific coast of the  Coromandel Peninsular. It was quite a journey over the mountains and through the forest but turned out to be well worth it.

En route I passed through some fantastic scenery and stopped for petrol at a filling station right in the middle of nowhere.





















I later stopped at a riverside town that just seemed like a heavenly place to live but I didn't take the name down and I've forgotten what it was called but here are some images.  (It has subsequently been suggested to me that it is Cooks Beach so I'll settle for that.)




















I then headed on to Hot Water Beach, near Hahei Beach. The sun was out and it was very warm when I arrived and I had to wade across a small stream to get on the beach


















I walked along the beach and the views were stunning looking out over the Pacific Ocean






















There were surfers out and though the waves were not of Manley or Curl Curl height they still gave a good account of themselves




















At this spot between the rocks and the beach there is a hot water Spring visible at low tide,  but that was a few hours away yet and I did not have time to stay. So I decided to have a quick dip to test out the temperature.  Not having trunks with me I stripped down to my boxers and put my clothes and camera in a neat pile on some rocks nearby and went in for a few minutes,  Unfortunately there is no photographic evidence of me in my boxers so you'll just have to imagine.




















I must say the temperature of the water was very pleasant but I only stayed in for a few minutes.  Didn't want to tempt a Great White!!

I gathered up my stuff and put a light hoody on above my boxers which were very clingy by this time so hiding my embarrasment with my pile of clothes I headed back to the car, only to be stopped by a very nice oriental lady.  Oblivious to my state of dress she asked me how did it feel in the water.  I politely said that it was very pleasant and then excused myself and dived into the back seat of the car.

I dried off as best as possible with a tee shirt, removed sand from my feet using a bottle of water I had in the car and found dry boxers in my case. When I was finally comfortable I got back into the drivers seat and tried to set my destination hotel on the sat nav. This was when I discovered that Alfie had booked me into a hotel in Australia instead of New Zealand.

Bearing in mind it is mid afternoon, I am 160km away from Hamilton and on the wrong side of the mountains, I panicked at first but then thought it through. Neither of my phones were working and I was relying on wifi to communicate with people, but no chance here.

I then drove of in the direction of Hamilton, stopped at the first cafe I came across and, using their wifi I booked another hotel. Feeling more relaxed, I then completed the rest of the journey to Hamilton and checked into the Barclay Motel on Ulster Street.  I could not believe the location.  Right across the road from the Chiefs ground.

My 'Spa Suite' is behind that big bay window on the first floor




















As soon as I was checked in and unpacked I went to a local pub recommended by reception here and had a great steak, a few ciders and general good conversation with some of the staff and customers.  The Pub was called 'The Helm' and it rounded off an unforgettable day, for whatever reasons.

Inside The Helm pub & restaurant 





















No comments:

Post a Comment