Wednesday 15 June 2016

Australia & New Zealand - Day 21 - 16th June

Day 21


This hotel makes me feel like I am in a movie.  It is so 1930s and Art Deco I had to walk around taking photographs before I had my breakfast. It was glorious outside today.


That really is the colour of the sky this morning. This is above the entrance.















Inside was like something out of Poirot

































I had breakfast out on the long terrace.  Had it all to myself
Doing yesterday's blog over coffee and croissants 

Nobody else, they must be in the restaurant 


































After breakfast I went on a guided walk around town with an American girl from California, an elderly couple from Tasmania, a Kiwi, 2 guys from Swansea, one from Cardiff and a Kiwi citizen born in The Lydia Beynon in Newport

I learned that there was a terrible earthquake in 1932 which, combined with the fire that followed destroyed over 95% of the buildings here when the level of the ground rose by 1.8 Metres.  When the town was rebuilt it was done in the current style which at that time was Art Deco. But because of the worldwide depression there was very little else going on around the world so this city is as though locked in a time warp.

I will not bore you with loads of photographs of buildings, just one or two but if anybody is interested I have bought a very good book on the subject.





I had lunch of pie and mash in The Rose, a pub attached to the hotel and I met a guy who worked for the hotel who offered to set up our TVs in the rooms so we could watch Wales v England in what is the early hours of the morning here.  We greatfully accepted his offer.

Lunch was great. Home made steak & Guinness pie washed down with Speights draft cider.



















Spent the rest of the afternoon exploring the beach area opposite the hotel and the Marine Parade





















It was then back to the hotel to pack for tomorrow and to have a quiet night in ready to watch Wales v  England at one o'clock in the morning.

I think it will remember this place fondly for a long time 
























No comments:

Post a Comment