Monday 27 March 2017

Australia 2017 - Day 33 - 27th March

Day 33


It was very hot today, hovering around 30 degrees and I went down to explore the Chowder Head area, which is a very small part of the Sydney Harbour National Park.

Sydney Harbour National Park

The Sydney Harbour National Park is a protected national park comprising parts of Sydney Harbour, its foreshores and various islands. The 970 acre national park lies within the Sydney metropolitan area and has been created progressively, since 1975.



The national park protects the mainland and island areas of Bradleys Head, Clark Island, Dobroyd Head, Fort Denison, Georges Head, Goat Island, Middle Head, Nielsen Park, Rodd Island, Shark Island, Sydney Heads including the Quarantine Station at North Head and The Gap bluff at South Head. The national park also protects the waterway between North Head and Dobroyd Head, defined as the North Sydney Harbour Aquatic Reserve. Parts of the national park lie outside the harbour and face the Tasman Sea.

The area that I had chosen to visit was Chowder Head, a small area which offered a somewhat steep at times walk around this part of the Park and was facing inwards towards the harbour.



There is a loop walk which is the best way to access the views from Chowder Head. This walk enables you to explore the history of the area whilst enjoying the views of Sydney Harbour. The track leads up to Chowder Head itself for spectacular views. This is a great way to enjoy this pocket of Sydney Harbour National Park, and the sweeping city views in the distance.





 





I then took an optional side trip would lead me to an informal lookout on an unfenced rock platform. it was an overgrown track and I wished I had put some insect repellent on. What added to the atmosphere was the noise of the animals from Taronga Zoo which is located nearby.  I felt like I was in a Tarzan movie, the only things missing were the vines, and Jane.

This was a great spot to enjoy the sailing boats on Sydney Harbour, watch the ferries moving too and fro and see the golden beaches dotted around below.
   









I returned along the narrow overgrown track until I rejoined the main walking path. Here, the walk took me up to Morella St. and I eventually emerged to see fine Sydney homes overlooking the park and the Harbour.





No comments:

Post a Comment