Thursday 9 March 2017

Australia 2017 - Day 15 - 9th March

Day 15


An easy start to the day today as I was going into Warringah Mall to pick up my new sun glasses from Specsavers. after which I was going to head off to the city to meet Justin at the Convention Centre at mid day.  The idea was that we would spend an afternoon at the SCG watching New South Wales against South Australia in the last Sheffield Shield match of the cricket season.

So I decided to leave the car at home and take the public transport.  So I left at 10.00 a,m and walked up to the bus stop in Naree Road.  As I turned the corner the Warringah Mall bus drove past me.  I walked to the bus stop and checked the times. sure enough, it was due to leave this stop at 10.04 and did so, on time.  The next one was to be 10.34 so I had a 30 minute wait for the next bus.

Warringah Mall Bus
Eventually I got on the next bus and travelled on to the Mall.  I wasn't long in Specsavers and soon emerged with my new prescription sunnies.  Won't forget to bring them with me in future.  Proved very costly mistake but was still cheaper than in the UK


My new sunglasses
I then proceeded to the bus bay to catch the bus to Manley from where I was going to get the ferry to Circular Quay.  As I turned into the bus bays I was in time to see the Manley bus leaving.  I saw some people nearby and asked the frequency of the buses and was told every 30 to 45 minutes.

So I got a taxi to take me to Manley Wharf and it wasn't too bad price wise.  The driver dropped me off at the wharf and I made my way through to the entrance to the ferry when suddenly the lights at the entrance terminals turned red.  I asked the attendant what was happeninbg and he said I was too late, the gates close 2 minutes before the boat leaves. This meant another 30 minute wait for the next one.

I spent the time looking around the wharf.



That's the ferry I missed, sailing away

Shark beach.  I wonder what the safety surround is for??

Award winning restaurant



Then, some 30 minutes later the next ferry arrived.  I joined the queue and after the incoming passengers had disembarked we all boarded.


This time it was the Narrabeen

So we set off for Circular Quay at 12.20 and I was supposed to be in Darling Harbour ay 12.00.

We passed all the usual sights on the way but all I was interested in at this time was getting there.  As soon as we arrived I went round to Wharf 5 to catch the Darling Harbour ferry but had to wait another 15 minutes before it left.  Then, after calling at Milsom Point, East Balmain, and Darling Harbour it finally arrived at Pyremont, which was my stop. I disembarked and hurried to meet Justin at the Hard Rock Cafe.  I finally met up with him at 01.50, nearly 4 hours after I left the house.  What a journey.

We then picked up Justin's car from the car park and headed off to the SCG for some cricket.  After driving around looking for a space we ended up parking the car in the Fox TV studios nearby. We made our way to the turn-styles and  entered the ground, The steward told us that we could use the Ladies Pavilion today, a great honour, it is normally out of bounds to the likes of us. We picked up a drink and a pie on the way through and took our seats.


The Ladies Pavilion at the SCG

Justin is not nodding off. He is checking his e mails

After watching two overs, just our luck, it started to rain so the players came off and the covers were put on.  We waited a while and there was an announcement that tea would be taken early and, hopefully, play would resume at 03.30.

Play did resume at 03.30 and we got to watch some cricket, but as we had to leave at 04.00 to pick Amy up in North Sydney, not a lot.  South Australia were batting well and NSW did not take a wicket while we were watching.




Then we headed home to reflect on what might have been a good day, only for fate to intervene and make sure it wasn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment