Wednesday 15 March 2017

Australia 2017 - Day 21 - 15th March

Day 21


Well if anything, the day started off worse than yesterday.  Torrential rain and the threat of thunderstorms.  At first I was going to stay in all day if the weather was going to remain as this.





But eventually it eased later in the morning so I went down to have a look ar Akuna Bay. Not having been here before I did not know what to expect but I was not prepared to see so many boats this far inland

Akuna Bay



Beautiful Akuna Bay is tucked away at the end of Coal and Candle Creek. I found out that it is a popular destination which can also be reached by road via the scenic Liberator General San Martin Drive, which is the route I took.
I wish I had taken my binoculars to take advantage of the superb birdlife on display.  The public barbecue and seating area is a lovely, family-friendly space with shaded tables. 
The d'Albora Marina is massive  there are wet berths and an impressive dry stack area for small boats. as well as a working boat yard.  the dry stack area held a tremendous amount of boats as you can see from some of the photographs below.





Dry Boat Storage Akuna Bay

d'Albora Marinas Akuna Bay offers dry boat storage in an undercover location, with access to boats 7 days a week. It is the ideal solution to hassle free boating, with no need for trailers, boat ramps or the cost of anti-foul. This dry boat storage can accommodate boats up to 24 feet.




As I was looking around I saw a boat here with a name which displayed my current outlook on life. So make the most of what you have.


I had a nice lunch at the Driftwood cafe overlooking the Marina before moving on to Illawong Point




Illawon Point


Illawong is an Aboriginal word meaning between two waters, referring to the Georges and Woronora Rivers. Illawong was originally inhabited by the Tharawal and Eora tribes who left remnants of their lives in many middens, rock carvings and cave paintings. The Illawong Nature Reserve also lies "between two waters". In this case, the reserve lies between a system of 2 wetlands, which in combination with the heavily vegetated ridgeland, provide habitat which is particularly suited to the long necked turtle.






Who would have thought that a day that started so dismally could have worked out so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment