Wednesday 22 March 2017

Australia 2017 - Day 28 - 22nd March

Day 28


Went with Justin down to Dee Why for breakfast.  we went to my usual place, the On Shore, and it was as good as usual.  This really is a great place to sit outside, eat a great breakfast and take in the fantastic sea views that are available here.




Later on Justin dropped me in Gordon because I was taking the train into the city today. I had not caught a train from here before and I was trying it out for future use.  There was a large amount of commuter parking alongside the station which was good. The platform was quaint and had a slightly old fashioned look about it.

It was getting extremely hot while I was on the platform waiting for the City train.







On arrival into Sydney it was my intention to visit the Susannah Place Museum, a block of four houses right in the centre of Sydney originally built in 1844.


Susannah Place Museum

The Susannah Place Museum is a historic house museum situated in The Rocks, Sydney. It is a block of four terraced houses that was built in 1844 and actually had domestic occupants until 1990. It is a documentation of the urban working class community in The Rocks. The terraces in various states of upkeeping show the evolution of occupation over 150 years.

The conservation work on these houses focuses on preserving and conserving, rather than recreating, so all restorative work is fully documented and where possible, reversible. The terraces contrast with many other restored houses because it retains old materials rather than recreating them from new ones. Susannah Place aims to ‘preserve the evidence of the building’s use and its adaptation to the changing needs of its occupants over 150 years.


A conservation management plan places exceptional importance on retaining the character of the building, stating the need to ‘retain overall form, scale and character of the exterior and character of the ground and first floor levels.’ One example of creating a museum in the making includes leaving the front room on the ground floor of no. 58 ‘as found’ which hadn’t been occupied since 1974 and the only changes were essential repairs.

This is similar in so many ways to St Fagans', cottages in Cardiff but differs in the way the houses show them as they were when left. Not as a 'staged' passage through time as at St Fagans.

Unfortunately I was unable to gain entry when I arrived so I took some shots of the exteriors. I will be coming back though, to visit the internal areas.







It was now getting so hot, I decided to go to the Orient Hotel for some refreshment.  This pub was close by and very handy for how I felt at the moment.


The Orient Hotel


The Orient Hotel has been a landmark in The Rocks since it was built in 1844.The street level public bar is a relaxed gathering place by day with great Australian bar food, icy-cold beer and cider and friendly staff. 





You can walk through to the sandstone courtyard and find the perfect spot to take time out with a cool drink, but it was too hot for me so I stayed inside.




After my liquid lunch I moved on down to Circular Quay intending to take a ferry ride up the Paramatta River.





But when I checked the times I would have had to wait an hour before the next ferry so I decided to catch a train up to Wynyard then take a train to somewherte way out, whatever was leaving first.

So I caught the train out of Circular Quay and at Wynyard changed for Hornsby.

Circular Quay Train Station

It was a long ride out to Hornsby and unfortunately when I got there we were suddenly engulfed in torrential rain and a violent thunderstorm with plenty of lightning so I did not even leave the station.



After about half an hour conditions had not improved so I headed back to Frenchs Forest, via Chatswood on the next train out.


No comments:

Post a Comment