Wednesday 24 January 2018

Australia & Ashes 2017 - 2018 - Day 60 - 21st January

Day 60


Up very early this morning and went up to see view from top of the hotel. I then went down to reception and settled my bill and checked out before breakfast.

What a view

I was first in the restaurant for breakfast and enjoyed the food for the last time. It was quite relaxing having choice of foods without being in a line.

Nobody in the restaurant

I then returned to my room to collect my bags. Then, after depositing my keys at reception I got my car out and set off to return it to the car hire terminal. From here I hopped on a shuttle bus which whisked me off to the airport. After checking in I did not have much time before the plane was due to leave so I made my way to the departure gate.





We were soon boarding and on reaching my seat I found myself sat next to a charming lady who said her name was Effie who was of Greek origin, so it could have been Ephe I suppose.  She was travelling with her partner Connor (who was sat across the aisle from me) and Con’s three kids.  By the time we landed I felt as though I had known her all my life. We did not stop talking the whole trip and I more or less got to know her whole life story. Or so it seemed.

On arrival at Sydney I quickly got my suitcase from baggage reclaim and made my way to Express Pick up where Alfie was waiting to whisk me off to the SCG where I was to meet up with Nigel for the 3rd One Day International between Australia and England.  When I got to the ground I had missed the first hour and we were already 2 wickets down




The members stand at the SCG with the ladies stand in the forground
I bought some beers and made my way up to the seat where I met up with Nigel who had been there from the start. We were sat in a sea of Australian supporters which made for some interesting banter. 



Without going into it in detail, suffice to say that England won not only the match, but the series as well going 3-0 up in the series of 5 matches. Highlight was Josh Butler scoring a century with a two off the very last ball.

Series winners

Series losies

Butler on reaching his ton

Needless to say, it was difficult getting away from the ground after, but we got onto a bus eventually and headed away. Nigel got off before me, heading towards Double Bay and I continued on to Circular Quay, after we said our goodbyes. The ferries had stopped running when I got there but by various means of transport I eventually got back to French’s Forest at about half Past midnight. A very long day to round off a very long, but extremely enjoyable weekend.




No comments:

Post a Comment