Tuesday 9 January 2018

Australia & Ashes 2017 - 2018 - Day 35 - 27th December

Day 27


A day in Melbourne today before flying back to Sydney this evening.  Everyone decided to spend the morning on the beach at St Kilda but I was to head back into Melbourne to meet Richard to watch the second day of the test somewhere near The Yarra in the city centre.

The Yarra River, Melbourne

First though, I went to the Fitzrovia restaurant for breakfast, which I was ready for.  Great breakfast, really good food but service could have been better.




When I was finished I decided to catch a Tram into the city but was refused entry because I did not have a pre-paid ticket.  They did not take cash on board!!

Nice, but they wouldn't let me on!!

So I tried to hail a cab and it took me an hour to get one and I was truly fed up when I took my seat in it.

At last one stopped for me

Richard was waiting for me when I arrived at the hotel and once again I took my case and left it in his room before we started the walk to the Yarra.





On the way we passed through the Barmy Army headquarters area which was fully operational. It is very impressive how they take over areas of each city England play in and set up information points and merchandise stores.  Despite the outwardly worrying appearance for locals they are well self policed and generally no trouble to locals.  Meanwhile at the ground they were in fine voice.


We moved on to Federation square and decided to stay at the Arintji restaurant where we had a perfect view of the open air screen.  It was great to see deck chairs laid out in the square so visitors could relax and watch the cricket on the big screen.

Arinyji

Our position for maximum view

People sat in deckchairs provided


After ordering drinks we settled in to watch the cricket and wait for the others.

Nice view from where we were sitting in the shade at Arintji

When they did arrive they were minus Bill and H who had gone straight to the airport but Alfie, Mike, James and Billy joined Richard and me at the restaurant for food and drink.




At 2 O'clock we decided it was time to leave so we went back to the Hotel, picked up our luggage and caught a taxi to the airport for the flight home.  We said our goodbyes to James ad Billy who were in a different terminal to us and then there were only four of us left.  Richard was coming to stay at Amy and Alfie's with us for the next week or so.

Melbourne departure
On arrival in Sydney we picked up our car and Alfie drove us back.  Mike to Manly Vale first and then the rest of us to home in French's Forest.

Home



No comments:

Post a Comment