Tuesday 19 July 2016

Australia & New Zealand - Day 52 - 17th July




Day 52


Today, after breakfast I walked into the town of Port Douglas. Hard to imagine that only 15 minutes separated the tranquility of  the hotel to the bustle of a very bust port.  It was a fascinating place with loads of places to eat and drink and a port just filled with boats waiting to take passengers out to the Great Barrier Reef.

Along the front

Boats waiting to leave


Our boat is out there somewhere 

























































The Central Hotel




























After checking out the area I decided to take a break in the Central Hotel Public bar.  I think if I livedhere this would be my local. During the time I spent here the men either looked like Grizzly Adams or Willie Nelson and the women all looked like Jennifer Aniston (with tattoos).  I think I would fit in OK but not sure if in the Grizzly Adams camp or Willie Nelson's. I can do either.


A sporting pub
















In the bar




















After spending an hour or so here I headed down to the wharf and had some lunch at the Hogs Breath cafe and then made my way out to the boat that would take me to the low islands. Getting a chance to look at the other boats on the way to ours.

Nosey!!
















Our Boat 

Getting ready to leave






























Moving out between the neighbours 























We then set off for the Low Islands taking in some magnificent views of the Daintree Rainforest in the distance.

































After a while the island we were heading for came into view, and it looked magical

Our own little island 


















When we arrived we moved on to a glass bottomed boat to get up on the beach, whereupon some of the group went snorkelling and the rest of us went on a tour of this part of the reef in the glass bottomed boat.

It was a great experience but very hard to capture in photographs.


Part of a giant clam.  Over 1 metre wide 


































All too soon it was time to get back but not before I had an explore of the island.

Snorklers returning

Plenty of free space on the island 

Interesting driftwood

Our group of snorkels having returned 



































































After a great afternoon, we all got back on board and set off back to Port Douglas

The sea was calm

The rainforest in the distance 




















































The sun's rays made the ocean silver

Sailing back into port. 



















Then it was a nice ocean side walk back to the hotel to get ready for my evening meal out.  Tonight  was to be the highly recommended '2 Fish' restaurant.

2fish Restaurant 

Inside from my seat 










































Needless to say I had fish to eat.  Oysters in raspberry vinegar, followed by crispy skinned Barramundi. Delicious.













No comments:

Post a Comment