Thursday 1 February 2018

Australia & Ashes 2017 - 2018 - Day 69 - 30th January

Day 69


On my own today I took the not so long road to the Manly Scenic Drive at North Head. When I arrived there, I was not ready for the spectacular views of the entire length of Sydney Harbour looking way back to the city.







After stopping here to try to take it all in I headed for the information centre. The staff were most helpful and provided me with a map before I sat down to view a short film.




I then headed off on foot to have a good look around. The first place I went to was the third quarantine cemetery as it became known, overlooking the harbour. From 1832 thousands of people were quarantined at the station on the coast below the Cemetery. More than 570 people died there.







Around 105 people in the third cemetery, died of the bubonic plague. And like Andrew O'Young, who was born in Canton but died of bubonic plague in May 1900, most contracted a disease aboard ship heading to Sydney.
Others such as Maggie Whitehead, of Condobolin, NSW, died of the plague as she was sailing for England in May 1900. Rumour had it that she was trying to leave her husband Richard.  Other victims lived in Sydney and were quarantined when they fell ill.


From here I headed to the Australian Memorial Walk which honours those who have served and supported the defence of Australia in peace or in war. The paved pathway links five monuments erected to remember the major conflict periods in Australia’s history:




This pathway was built along an old track that ran through the bush at North Head. Overlooking Sydney Harbour and at the Heads through which many servicemen and women sailed off to and returned from war. It is an idyllic site for a memorial that commemorates those who have served the Nation. The Monuments have been designed to provide the visitor with information on the period of service commemorated and allows a chance to rest, reflect and to remember






I then walked the Fairfax trail. This walk provides some of the best views in Sydney. This pleasant walk follows the paved footpaths it loops around the tip of North Head. It is now possible to enjoy views of the entrance to Sydney Harbour, the coastal cliff line overlooking this area of the South Pacific and historic gun emplacements.







The stunning lookouts provide great views all year round and are a popular vantage point for Whale watchers which pass by twice annually. They head north in June/July and return to the Antarctic in August and October. Unfortunately, I was here in February and saw none.

I did see a couple of these though!!!!!!!!!!! 

On my way around I had to duck a couple of times to avoid these local inhabitants. Their legs were as long as my fingers.





Feeling quite exhausted from all this walking in 30 degrees of heat I decided to call it a day but it will certainly return at some time as there is so much more to see.



No comments:

Post a Comment