Saturday 9 December 2017

Australia & Ashes 2017 - 2018 - Day 16 - 8th December

Day 16


Left home today intending tgo go to Maroubra because I had heard there was to be a very high tide and the surfers should be out in force.  Unfortunately after I had crossed the city I drove into a massive thunder and lightning storm with very heavy rain.






I quickly changed my plans and carried on driving around to the other side of Botany Bay.




I stopped at a place called Sylvania which I had never heard of and despite the rain it appeared very appealing and photogenic.







Sylvania is an affluent suburb, in southern Sydney some 22 kilometres south of the Sydney central business district in the Sutherland Shire. It's well known for its large waterfront properties and restaurants.








From here I drove to Tom Ugly’s Point to see the two road bridges that cross over the George River.


Tom Uglys Bridge is composed of two bridges, completed in 1929 and 1987, that cross the river at this point.






The 1929 Pratt truss bridge is listed on the New South Wales State Heritage Register and carries three lanes of northbound vehicular traffic on the Princes Highway (A36). The 1987 concrete box girder bridge was built to the east of the older bridge and carries the three southbound lanes of the highway. Both bridges have shared bicycle and pedestrian pathways. The bridges link the St George's area at Blakehurst to the Sutherland Shire at Sylvania. The Tom Uglys Bridge is one of three major road crossings of the Georges River.




It was soon time to head back to French's Forest as I was on baby sitting duties this evening because Alfie and Amy were going out on yet another Christmas Party.  It's a hard life being a grandparent.


No comments:

Post a Comment