Thursday 7 December 2017

Australia & Ashes 2017 - 2018 - Day 14 - 6th December

Day 14

Took it easy this morning before heading down to Gordon to get the train into the city.  It is easier doing it this way because there is plenty of parking space around the train station area.



When I got to the city I walked through the Hunter Connection into Pitt Street and arrived just in time for a massive thunder and lightning storm.  Once again, not dressed for this type of weather I had to take shelter in a nearby café.  After this I headed for the Royal Hotel which was quite close and settled down ready to watch final day of the second Ashes test match.





I ordered lunch and expected to see a titanic battle between the England batsmen and Australian bowlers.  Unfortunately this did not transpire and we were bowled out in less than one session.  Not good news for the series, Australia only needing to win one of the last three test matches to regain the Ashes.  Let’s hope we perform better in Perth next week.

I stayed in the hotel for the rest of the afternoon and met Alfie when he finished work.  After this I made my way along Pitt Street to Angel Place and the City Recital Hall.



I was staying in town for the evening to see Monteverdi’s Coronation of Poppea which was to start at 7.00pm.



I had a little time to kill so I called in to the Angel Café for a coffee and sat outside amidst the overpowering buildings




Then it was showtine and I made my way into the theatre.  It was a really well laid out theatre with bars and restaurants on the ground floor.  I bought a programme and headed up to my seat in the first floor balcony.  The theatre had obviously been recently refurbished and was very impressive inside.





The stage was set up in a minimal manner with the orchestra on the theatre floor immediately in front  on a level with the audience, not in a pit.




The opera itself was different to anything I had seen before but nonetheless I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I think I will be looking out for more Pinchgut productions in future.






Then a walk to the station for the return trip to Gordon and a short car ride home after a very interesting day indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment