Monday 30 May 2016

Australia & New Zealand - Day 4 - 30th May

Day 4


Today I went to Circular Quay, probably my favourite place in Sydney. Hopefully the images below will explain why.

Circular Quay

















Circular Quay was originally called Semi-Circular Quay due to its shape. Over time it became shortened to Circular Quay for convenience and has kept that name since about 1850, even though today it's shape is almost a square.


Circular Quay circa 1892




















It is a busy, bustling place with a railway station and numerous ferry terminals for the ferries transporting people across to all sides of Sydney Harbour. 

Circular Quay railway station and wharf.

















The Fishburn waiting on berth
















Wharf 3, tickets for the Manly Ferry





















It houses a cruise liner terminal and numerous restaurants and bars and of course the famous Opera House.

A Cruise Liner in port














The iconic Sydney Opera House





















Of all of the bars, my favourite is Buckleys, a bar/restaurant selling craft beers and ciders and serving excellent food day and night. If you are ever down here give it a try. You will not be disappointed.

Looking across the quay to Buckley




























While walking around I heard what I thought was Neil Young singing and playing a banjo.  Now those of you that know me know how much I admire Neil Young so I had to find the source of the music.  It  was this unassuming guy playing a ukulele and singing with Neil Youngs voice. Incredible!  I hung around and gave him a good donation. Hope he is there when I go back.

My favourite busker 


















Of course, overlooking all of this is the magnificent Sydney Harbour Bridge, but more of this when I visit The Rocks later.


No comments:

Post a Comment