Tuesday 5 February 2019

2019 Australia and India Week 1

Week 1

The latest trip started on Monday 23rd Jan when Dan picked me up to take me to Heathrow Airport.  It was an early start at 3.30 am because my flight was due to leave at 9.00 am and we did not want to be involved in any rush hour traffic.



We arrived in good time and I even had time to spend getting breakfast in the Etihad lounge at the airport.



After a trouble free change in Abu Dhabi it was a good flight to Sydney where I arrived at Kingsford Smith airport  half an hour early at 7.00 pm on Tuesday 24th.  


Clouds over Sydney

Amy was there to meet me and we were soon on our way out to Frenchs Forest, my second home.  It was still incredibly hot and I was prepared for what I had been told was to come with regard to the weather conditions which are  so hot at present

I'm back

Next day, Wednesday, I spent settling in and generally relaxing around the locale because I was only going to be here for a short time. In fact only one day because on Thursday I was to drive to Canberra for a few days to see the second Test match between Australia and Sri Lanka.

I certainly got to meet two local residents I had not seen before.





Another early start on Thursday to drop Alfie off at the airport from where he was flying off to Melbourne on business.  I then began my drive on to Canberra, about 200 miles.  I stopped for breakfast at an early opportunity before deciding to do a little sightseeing on the way as I had plenty of time because the cricket did not start until the next day.  The first place I stopped was at a location where there were two dams close together which were reached after a drive through open woodland.

The fist was the Nepean Dam and offered spectacular views across the dam . The Nepean Dam, is one of four dams and weirs in the catchment of the Upper Nepean Scheme, in New South Wales, Australia, which provides water to the Macarthur and Illawarra regions, the Wollondilly Shire, and metropolitan Sydney

The Nepean Dam



I then drove over to the Avon Dam which was every bit as spectacular as the previous one The Avon Dam, is another of the four dams and weirs in the catchment of the Upper Nepean Scheme, in New South Wales, Australia, which provide water to the Macarthur and Illawarra regions, the Wollondilly Shire, and metropolitan Sydney

Avon Dam



After spending some time here I got back onto my route to Canberra until I saw a sign saying ‘Australia’s most Historic Inn’ so once again I left the highway and followed the road to this inn.  It was the Fitzroy Inn which apparently  was established in 1836 and is steeped in early Australian history.  Unfortunately I was unable to find out more as it was early and was not yet open to the public.

The drive to the Fitzroy Inn

Magnifivent Facade

Then onwards on my Journey with just one more stop.  This time to look at the massive Lake George which, unless you read your guide books you would not know was a lake .

For a first-time visitor along the road from Sydney to Canberra, there’s a small pleasure that arises when you’re about 40 minutes out of the nation’s capital: the joy of explaining that Lake George, the lake running along the eastern side of the Federal Highway, empties and fills of its own volition. Impossible, they say, as they gaze across the 25km-long, 10km-wide expanse of water which, when full, looks like a permanent fixture. But as locals know well, it’s more normal for Lake George to disappear entirely. The large body of water rises and falls seemingly mysteriously, and has done throughout its history.
There are no mysteries of Lake George. In fact, Lake George isn’t a lake at all, it’s actually a depression that turns into a lake when it fills. There’s always water below the lake floor, and amazingly, it is saline, but if you have more rainfall, the lake fills up. While there’s no ‘mystery’ surrounding the disappearance of the lake, its mirage-like comings and goings remain a compelling tale. Changes in water levels, while not instantaneous, are dramatic. When full, the lake reaches a size of about 155sq.km, but when the water dries up, the lake-bed is used for grazing. 
Lake George when full
Two shots of Lake George today

Can't believe it's the same place as the first pic!
Next stop was Australia’s capital, Canberra. a city in stark contrast to the larger cities like Sydney and Melbourne.  I soon arrived at my hotel, a charming boutique style hotel called The Diplomat, 
Canberra
I checked in and rested a bit before getting some lunch and going for a walk to find the Manuka Oval, site of tomorrow’s test match.  
Hotel Entrance

It was less than half a mile from my hotel and very easy to find.  I had an opportunity to watch the Australian team practicing in the nets, but not for too long as the sun was beating down relentlessly.


Manuka Oval

Aussies in the nets
On the way back to the hotel I stopped at a pub which had been recommended to me by a local who I had stopped to chat to.  It was the Kingston Hotel and it soon turned very busy with TV crews who had been setting up at the ground in readiness for the test tomorrow.  I had only intended staying for one drink to quench my thirst, but I got into conversation with the TV guys and stayed for quite a few more.


Dinner at the hotel followed by a good sleep ready for the cricket the next day.
Hotel Dining Room
What a change in weather conditions. It was like the UK in early April, and I loved it. This was a historic day for me and everyone present. It was the first test match ever to be played at the Manuka Oval and there were plenty of celebrity sportspeople thee to witness it.  It was a good start by the Sri Lankans taking three early wickets but the Australians gradually ground them down.
Brendan Julian, Michael Vaughan and Allan Border

Glen McGrath after having his make-up and hair done.

Tuffers looking very smart
First day's play
Nice dinner at the hotel before a couple of drinks and bed.
Looking down on the diners
Saturday morning I was up early to watch the Wales v France match on the TV.  What a great win by Wales. Things are looking good.  Then I had to dash to the airport to pick up Alfie who was flying in for the cricket on the second day  After checking him in to the hotel it was time for another day of cricket.This day the weather returned to being very hot
At the conclusion of the days play we went over to the Kingston Forshore for dinner at Prego Italian restaurant. 




We then spent the rest of the night in the Walt and Burley bar whilst watch the Big Bash Sydney derby between Sixers (our team) and Thunder on the screens.  Good outcome, we won.



The Walt & Burley Bar
The Forshore at night
Next day, after breakfast, we headed back to Sydney for lunch.  Then we took the kids for a bike ride before stopping at Forestville DSL for some refreshment.  




It was baking, and so the first week ended.


No comments:

Post a Comment